Friday, May 09, 2008

Nature or Nurture?

I read this interesting article about Alice Walker's (The Color Purple) daughter and their relationship.

It made me think about the whole nature vs nurture question in regards to gender.

Now, to be clear, I do believe that nurture makes a big difference in our lives (look at the repetitive life patterns of alcoholism, physical abuse, poverty, and even wealth and business ownership. I don't think that's genetic. That's learned behavior.). However, that being said, anyone who thinks that male and female infants don't have behavioral (and, at least later, cognitive) differences purely based on the fact that they are genetically male or female is either delusional or still taking lots of drugs from the '60's.

Nurture is important, but my sons are much more physically active and have been since birth than my daughter.

Which brings me back to the article. Is radical feminism (not equal pay for equal work, but the radical kind that says things like all sex is rape and heterosexual marriage is a form of enslavement (what's their position on homosexual marriage?)) nature or nurture? I assert that it is nurture. I look at my daughter and the things she has cared about from birth, and I read this article, and I can't help but come to that conclusion.

The denial of nature that is so popular today is simply Skinnerianism taken to a ludicrous extreme.

That'll irk some professor at some college somewhere.

- John

Currently listening to:
Disposal - The Crucified
GOD - The Crucified
Procreation Chick - Splashdown
Letters To Emily - Julie Miller
The Reasons - P.O.D.

No comments: