Tuesday, November 20, 2007

What is the nature of power?

We all know what power is. Or, at least, we think we know. But what is it really?

I think power is the ability to accomplish something, and, like any other tool, it can be used for good or bad (which gets into a whole other discussion about what is good and what is bad and situational vs non-situational ethics. Anyways...).

The most interesting question for me is when is the use of power good and when is it bad? And more specifically, when is the power to influence others good or bad?

I think most people agree that manipulating someone for purely personal gain is bad (unethical, in this case). But is it ever unethical to persuade someone to do something that you feel is in their own good but that you also profit or benefit from?

I'm still chewing on this, so I don't have a good answer at this point, but I welcome your thoughts and comments.

As a side note, my friend Blair Warren has some very interesting posts that touch on the use of power (in this case, persuasive power) such as this one.

Check them out.

- John

No comments: